Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Some of my favorite books on fairytales.

Hello to all who might read this, friends, family, and fellow daydreamers who manage to somehow get where we're going while living in our heads!
My sister Gail and Cousin Katya have inspired me to start a blog by having excellent ones themselves, and so here I am. I thought for the first post of mine I would make a list of my absolutely favorite books on fairytales. These are books I have and couldn't imagine life without! These are books I have read over and over and over again, and often find myself flipping through when I want to look up a particular fairytale figure or mythic creature or some such other interesting tidbit of the fantastic.
(In no particular order but that in which they come to mind.)

Russian Folklore - Linda J. Ivanits
Complete Brothers Grimm 3rd Ed. - Compiled by Jack Zipes
Celtic Myth and Legend - Charles Squire
Claymore and Kilt - Sorche Nic Leodhas
Cassell's Dictionary of Norse Myth - Cassell
(I actually have to see this one at the library, its a bit expensive but worth it!)
Ultimate Encyclopedia of Mythology - Tonny Rizzo and Arthur Cotterell
The Complete Encyclopedia of Signs and Symbols - Mark O'Connell
Fairytale as Myth - Jack Zipes
Fire in the Head - Celtic Shamanism - Tom Cowan
Dictionary of Superstition - David Pickering
...and I am always on the watch for more!

Look them up and enjoy them!

4 comments:

  1. I know I can always count on you for a good reference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My, but I do love research! I think I have NSU's reference floor memorized! And I can always count on you for a fab recipe or a really awesome novel I've overlooked!

    ReplyDelete
  3. how fun! and you forgot painter of shoes

    ReplyDelete
  4. you're the best jedi chicken a girl could ask for you know!

    ReplyDelete