Thursday, May 27, 2010

"The Rose and The Beast" - a book review


"The Rose and The Beast" is a collection of nine fairytales re-told by popular teen-bop novelist Francesca Lia Block. Block's unique writing style positively shines in this medium. The minimalistic, lyrical, and dream-like aspect of Block's prose is ideal for the re-telling of classic fairytales with a modern twist. Despite Block's obviously contemporary edge the fairytales retain much, if not all, of their original weight and mystery.In my opinion this is the best display of Block's writing style out of the many books that she has written. Many of Block's other works are rooted heavily in the classic hero/heroine mythology and it is because of this pattern that I feel this book is one of her best simply because the fairytale themes can take prominence in the narrative and not just act as a structural plot device.

In addition to being simply intoxicating, this is a quick and enchanting read for someone who may not have the most time to devote to fantasy reading.

Block has chosen for her collection the stories of Snow (Snow White), Tiny (Thumbelina), Charm (Sleeping Beauty/a heroine addict), Wolf (Red Riding Hood/a girl who is being raped by her father and must learn to defend herself), Rose (Rose White and Rose Red), Bones (Blue Beard), Beast (Beauty and the Beast), and Ice (The Snow Queen...my favorite fairytale).

I highly recommend this book not only to lovers of all fairytales and their reincarnations but also to Block fans everywhere.

While we are on the subject, which of the fairytales that Block has chosen would you say is your favorite? What is it about that story that you find the most intriguing, magical, or memorable?

4 comments:

  1. I'm going to buy that today. just going to happen. I cant wait to read Charm. Sleeping Beauty as Heroine Addict just scrams out to me to be read, and I also LOVE the Snow Queen, I love seeing retellings of it in particular! Have you read Joan D. Vinge's Snow Queen?

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is teh one in the anthology snow white and rose red (or something like that, right)...where it seems like it isa set in the 1920's? if so than, yes! and I totally love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. no, thats not it, but I want that one!! this one is like fairytale meets sci fi! look it up

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds cool! I will!

    ReplyDelete