Friday, June 1, 2012

Snow White

Today is the day that yet another Snow White movie hits the theatres. I am not one to complain, I think this is excellent! Consequently, I think that Snow White is one of the most reproduced stories in the media. There are at least 6 film versions I can think of since the original Disney film opened in 1937. Not to mention numerous sequels and spin-offs, of both American and European origin. And Speaking of film versions of Snow White, my personal favorite is this one from 1997. While a little campy, this version stays true to the tone of terror which endeared many of the classic fairytales to generations of both children and parents.

Why the fascination with Snow White? I ask because, when I was growing up, the only thing I liked about the Grimm Brothers' story and the Disney version was the Wicked Queen. I mean really, this is the face of a villain!

And yet, I found the story boring, and Snow White to be a little dull. What do you think? Which version do you like best and why?

Also, check out these fascinating women rumored to be the real-life inspirations for both the Wicked Queen and Snow White herself!

Also Also, if you are as much of a fan of Disney's Wicked Queen as I am, check out this fantastic blog which gives a detailed breakdown of the Queen's killer style and the inspiration behind it!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment